Sunday 9 November 2014

A last word from each of us

During my short time on campus on Friday, it was great to hear people congratulating the team on our achievement.
This has been a priceless experience. I recall sitting on the famous red steps at Times Square and thinking to myself how thankful I am for the opportunity. Even though we did not come first, I am proud of myself and I am proud of our team. We all played an integral part in our success. During our celebration, a student from an American University stated our attitude and approach to the competition was “refreshing”. This meant a lot to us as it establishes we conducted ourselves and represented the University well. The result has confirmed the University’s status as a world renowned Real Estate program and I am proud to study here. 
The obvious highlight for me was our successful participation. I did not think we would get through to the final never mind coming fourth. It was encouraging that some judges came and congratulated us personally which underlined our performance. I also got to share the experience with my good friend Hannah. We have progressed through our University careers together and I am thankful we were both selected.
I would highly recommend current 3rd year students apply for this trip next year. - Amy




To me, this New York trip has been an experience I will never forget. There has been so many great times, although my highlights are three specific times. First, upon the arrival to the City Centre and seeing the Empire State Building all lit up. It was not until then I kind of understood that "this is real!" Secondly, the whole case itself was very rewarding. The biggest highlight was the actual competition day and of course part of it was when we were announced the group winners. That was an amazing feeling, although the main highlight for me was just to be in The Convene and experience true Wall Street atmosphere and professional working environment. I have been able to learn so much more than I ever expected to learn beforehand. And lastly, the Staten Island ferry trip where I could see the whole Manhattan Skyline from afar and see the beautiful Statue of Liberty monument. That was a great wrap-up to a wonderful journey for me. - Maria 


This trip was an unbelievable experience! I had never been to New York before, so experiencing the culture and having time for some sightseeing was great! Not to mention that we were there over Halloween...!! The highlight, however, was when the finalists were announced  and they said MaitlandGroup. I think after this moment everyone in the room knew who we were because of our screaming and excitement! This showed that all our hard work had paid off - and that it was fine to take some time off to see the Big Apple. - Alina 



For me New York was a dream destination and I would like to thank the University for making this dream come true. It was an incredible experience from which I have learned a lot.  
The biggest highlight came to me unexpectedly in the middle of our final presentation. There, for the moment, I stopped and realised that in front of us sat 19 judges that represent the Real Estate industry. Leaders that are making decisions and shaping the industry. And they are judging us- young students with no real life experience on the investment transaction they, as a fund, should take. Therefore, the fact that we were really close to actual transaction and judges congratulations, statements that we did a great job, as well as the advice they gave us is one of the most valuable things that happened.
Of course, New York itself. Skyscrapers, yellow cabs, diners, food stands and bright lights of the city that never sleeps. It is like you are in a movie and experiencing the culture every day. 9/11 Memorial is a must see. Very emotional and tragic. - Vitali 


Having never been 'State-side' before this trip was a very exciting opportunity for me and I feel truly priveledged to have been selected. Seeing the bright lights of the big city for the first time as we drove in from the airport filled me with excitement & anticipation of all that would follow over the coming week. The case study was tough but as I stood on top of the Empire State Building on our last morning reflecting on the past week and all that had happened I thought about how much I had learnt- about myself and academically- and realised just how fabulous this experience had been. 

Distinct highlights are hard to select as for me so much was fun, exciting and new experiences. I loved walking around and soaking up the atmosphere of such a diverse, vibrant city. Furthermore, I am immensely proud to have been part of a team who have each personally achieved so much as well as together. 

Thank you again to the university for facilitating our trip and to Professor Hutchison for taking the time to accompany us and for all his support along the way! Thank you also to all who have followed our blog and progress on social media- we have greatly appreciated your support and words of encouragement along the way plus messages of congratulations at the end! - Hannah 




1 comment:

  1. Well done Maitland Group- you have done yourselves and your university proud. You took a unique opportunity and flew.

    ReplyDelete